Nutrition facts per serving without cheese (makes 4 servings): Calories 357; 19g Protein, 63g carbohydrate; 5g Fat (1g Saturated Fat); 737mg sodium
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds more.
- Add cumin, chili powder and pepper. Sauté another 30 to 60 seconds, until fragrant.
- Mix in tomato paste and cook until slightly browned, stirring and watching closely to prevent burning.
- Stir in water.
- Add all remaining ingredients except dried oregano and cheese. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes to one hour. Add more water if chili gets too thick.
- Stir in oregano and cook briefly to blend flavors.
- Remove from heat. Divide into four bowls, top each with cheese and serve.