This is a tasty recipe that your students are sure to love!
- Carefully wash kale at least twice, gently rubbing leaves and lifting kale out of water. Drain well and pat dry or dry in a salad spinner. Remove and discard stems and inner ribs or save for another use. Chop leaves coarsely. Set leaves aside.
- Stir chicken base or bouillon crystals together in a measuring cup or bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil and butter or margarine in a large skillet that has a lid over medium-high heat.
- Sauté Canadian bacon or ham in the oil/butter mixture until lightly browned. Add garlic and onion and sauté 2 minutes. Add salt, black pepper and cayenne. Stir to combine.
- Stir half the kale to the skillet. Add water/chicken base or bouillon mixture into skillet. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Uncover skillet. Stir in remaining kale. Cover and simmer another 5 to 10 minutes until kale is tender when tasted.