Sautéed Kale and Quinoa Medley
- Preheat oven to 425oF.
- Rinse quinoa with cool water in a fine sieve. Drain. Combine 1 cup water and quinoa in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes or until the grain looks soft and translucent. The germ ring will be visible on the outside of the grain.
- While quinoa cooks wash the kale. Remove stems and discard or save for another use. Dry thoroughly in a salad spinner or by patting dry with clean towels. Cut leaves into 1/2-inch wide strips. Transfer kale to a large bowl. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Use clean hands to toss the oil and kale together until thoroughly combined and the kale is coated. Spread kale evenly over a large sheet pan. Place pan in the preheated oven and roast 8 to 10 minutes or until some of the edges of the kale have turned brown.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add remaining ½ teaspoon vegetable oil. When hot add garlic and cook just until garlic begins to turn brown. Remove from heat.
- Make the dressing in a small bowl or measuring cup by whisking together honey, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl combine roasted kale, quinoa, cooked garlic and carrots. Drizzle with dressing and toss gently.