Nutrition facts per serving (makes 4 servings, 1/2 cup each): Calories 172; 4g Protein, 36g carbohydrate; 1g Fat; 240mg sodium
- Check the directions on the package of rice first. If they differ from this recipe, follow the packages directions. There are several types of brown rice and the type you have can greatly affect the cooking method and cooking time. Because brown rice includes the bran it takes longer to cook than refined white rice, often 40 to 50 minutes.
- Measure rice into a large saucepan with a tight fitting lid.
- Add water or broth and salt, if using.
- Bring saucepan to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. For brown rice this will often take 40 to 50 minutes. You can begin checking for doneness after 30 minutes.
- Allow the finished rice to rest 5 minutes with the lid on the pan. After resting time drain any excess liquid and fluff the cooked rice with a fork.